So I like many others was incredibly bummed out when Agent Phil Coulson bit the dust in The Avengers, it was like Optimus Prime all over again.
However he did not die in vain, as it was his death that united earths mightiest heroes into an alien ass-kicking force of awesomeness. But with the financial juggernaut that is the ‘Marvelverse’ still going and ‘Phase 2’ now underway, part of their ongoing plan of geek culture domination not only included sequels for Iron Man, Thor & Captain America but also a tie in TV series titled Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. featuring the return of Agent Coulson.
Now this raised a lot of questions as to how Coulson lived, as it appeared the Loki shanked him pretty well (Unless you watched the UK DVD where the death scene was edited for no damn reason *grumble* Once you see it you can’t unsee it) and as just mentioned his death is a pivotal moment in the film. However on Friday we got our answer with the showing of the series pilot for Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.
*DOUBLE SPOILER WARNING*
It seems that Phil Coulson was killed in action, for about 7 seconds. However Nick Fury lied about his death to The Avengers to solidify & unite them as a team. In actuality Agent Coulson was revived by paramedics on the scene and has spent the time since the battle for New York in a recovery center in Tahiti…
OR HAS HE!?! *dramatic reverb*
Although he has memories of being in Tahiti, a brief conversation between Maria Hill & Dr. Streiten (played by Whedonverse regular Ron Glass) leads us to believe that this may not be true. So if the lie is in fact a lie, what is really going on here? Well I’ve had some theories of my own on the subject that I would like to share with you now…
- He is actually a LMD (Life Model Decoy) implanted with Agent Coulson’s memories
- They brought him back using some horrible Chitauri technological procedure that was really traumatic, so they implanted the memory of Tahiti to cover it up
- Phil Coulson is dead, what we’re actually seeing is the journey of his soul through perdition
- They brought him back by making a deal with Mephisto like Spiderman: One More Day. The price? Maria Hill’s hairstyle!
- He’s actually Phil’s twin brother, Paul.
- He’s actually an android, when he finds out later in the series he goes mad and that’s how the get Ultron for Avengers 2.
- Its actually Mystique playing Agent Coulson and THAT’S HOW WE TIE THE XMEN UNIVERSE BACK IN. BOOM!
In all seriousness, the only thing I can think of it being is option 1. However it wouldn’t be the first time that Mr Whedon has pulled the rug out from under us. After all we all though the hero in the pilot episode would turn out to be ‘someone’ but turns out it’s not. But I guess we’ll find out in time as I think this is definitely going to series, and I’ve always got more random theories.
I thoroughly enjoyed the pilot for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., not a lot happened in terms of plot but then again it is only the pilot. But the one thing I did see is a lot of potential, and if they tie stuff in to the rest of Phase 2 & 3 then that would be just awesome. Also just nice seeing a series that has clearly had a lot of investment in it, both financially and creatively, it looked great. But anyway, however he has returned from the dead I’m just glad he is. Welcome back Agent Coulson.
PS: Also some peoples complaints were that none of The Avengers appeared in the episode…you do know what the show is titled right? They were mentioned several times, what more do you want?